- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 peppers (any colors), cut into 1⁄2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp + 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1⁄2 hot pepper or jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place eggplant and peppers onto two baking sheet pans. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until soft and slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a pot, add the onion, potato, chili, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, turmeric, ginger and garlic. Continue to sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the hot water and scrape the bottom bits. Add the roasted eggplant and pepper, then the ketchup and mix to incorporate. Taste and adjust for salt.
Bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.