This week I decided to spice things up by making some old favorites. This dish, a classic Indian food called piale is a delicious, flavorful, and vegan friendly one pot meal. It’s quick to make and consists of very few ingredients – mostly staples you probably already have at home – plus a lot of spices which take these ordinary potatoes and chickpeas to new levels.
Eat it as is, or over rice. It also makes excellent wraps!
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of each: cumin, paprika, turmeric, curry powder
- 1⁄2 tsp of each: ground ginger, cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp of each: ground cloves, cardamom
- Two 15 oz cans of chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Heat oil in a pot with a lid. Add onion, potatoes, and salt, and sauté until onions are soft, about eight minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté another two minutes. Add spices and mix to incorporate, then add the chickpeas and mix to coat with the spices. Add the stock, cover, bring to a boil and cook at a simmer until the potatoes are cooked, about ten-twelve minutes.
Taste and adjust for salt. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.