We all need a stew we can rely on. I mean the type of recipe where you can just take all the ingredients and throw them into the pot and forget about it until afternoon. Then, as the aroma fills your home you remember that a) you are so ready for dinner and b) dinner is ready. Just like that. In a pinch! Serve over egg noodles or rice.
- 2 lb stew meat or 1st cut brisket, cut into 1″ chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry or semi-dry red wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1⁄4 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp flour
Place meat, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, beef broth, wine, soy sauce, thyme, pepper and salt into a crock pot. Mix the tomato paste with a little water to dissolve and add to the pot. Give everything a quick mix. Place crock pot on high and cook for 5-6 hours.
Mix flour with a little water to dissolve and mix into the crock pot and continue to cook an additional hour.